RANKING IAS DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS-OCTOBER 17, 2018
Vice President leaves for Belgium to attend 12th ASEM Summit
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu on 17/10/2018 left for Belgium to attend the two-day 12th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) in Brussels.
The theme of the ASEM Summit is ‘Global Partners for Global Challenges’.
- The bi-annual event is considered the highest platform for dialogue and cooperation between Asia and Europe in the areas of trade, investment, security and tourism.
- As many as 51 Heads of States/ Heads of Government are expected to participate in the Summit where a wide range of issues from climate change to terrorism are expected to be discussed.
- This will be the first multi-lateral summit the Vice President will be attending after taking office in August 2017.
- The Vice President will also participate in the Plenary Session and have interactions with various stakeholders.
- He will also call on His Majesty, the King of the Belgians and have bilateral meetings with the Heads of State / Government from Austria, Portugal, Switzerland and other countries on the side-lines of the Summit.
- The Vice President will also address the Indian Diaspora at the Jain Culture Centre in Wilrijk, Antwerp and pay respects and offer floral tribute at a sculpture of Mahatma Gandhi located in the Governorate at Antwerp.
- The Vice President will return to India on October 21.
First National Summit on Invest in AYUSH
- On the occasion of Ayurveda Day celebrations, Ministry of AYUSH is organising First National Summit on Invest in AYUSH at Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi on 4th November, 2018.
- The summit is to encourage public sector undertakings (PSUs) under different Ministries/Departments of the Government and private companies to invest in AYUSH.
- NITI Aayog and Department of Industrial and Policy and Promotion are the partner organisations of this first National summit in AYUSH.
- A preparatory meeting for the summit was organised on 16th October 2018, which was presided by union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH Shri Shripad Yesso Naik.
- Ministry has taken many new initiatives to increase the market size of AYUSH and it is in close cooperation with Industry Chambers like FICCI, CII, PHD Chambers and ASSOCHAM etc. to achieve this goal.
- Ministry of AYUSH has signed MoU with Ministry of Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) to develop entrepreneurs in AYUSH sector and to strengthen the existing AYUSH Industry sector including manufacturers of AYUSH drugs, cosmetics, food supplements, hospital industry, etc.
- Ministry will be working with MSME to organize 50 Entrepreneurship Development Programs in next one year in different cities covering all the states across the country.
- The Ministry has taken a challenge to create one lakhs job opportunities in AYUSH Sector under the Champion Sector Scheme as devised by Union Cabinet and the Ministry is working with Commerce Ministry to support non-government sector to establish many international standard Ayurveda and other AYUSH Hospitals.
- The ministry is also developing horizontal integration with other Ministries of Government of India.
- Ministry of railways has agreed to set up AYUSH wing in 5 railway hospitals.
- Likewise, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Home Ministry, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Labour is also setting AYUSH wings in hospitals under their respective ministries.
- Many PSUs have also come forward to set up AYUSH hospitals.
Ministry of AYUSH has taken many initiatives for promotion and propagation of AYUSH systems.
- There is growth of 15.38% in the number of patients treated with AYUSH systems of Medicine through AYUSH Hospitals and Dispensaries in last four years.
- The Government of India has allowed hundred percent foreign direct investments in health sector.
- Due to resurgence in the global demand for AYUSH and Herbal products the total value of Export the AYUSH and Herbal products has increased to from USD 354.68 million in year 2014 -15 to USD 401.68 million in year 2016-17 in global market.
45 Indian companies participating in Expo Cihac in Mexico City
- Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI) is leading a contingent of 45 exhibitors, representing various sectors of the construction industry like building materials, construction equipment, interior furnishing, manufacturing and marketing of ceramic vitrified tiles to Expo Cihac in Mexico City.
- Expo Cihac is the leading event for the construction industry being held in Citibanamex Center, Mexico from 17/10/2018 till October 20, 2018.
- This event is expected to bring together the best products, technologies and innovations in construction from all over the world.
- More than 570 exhibitors from the field of architecture, engineering, interior design, lighting, home automation and machinery are participating in the expo.
- The main objective of participating countries is to increase their brand exposure, attract more prospects and strengthen their relationship with the participants of the growing construction industry.
The ceramic industry of India does business of $1.243 billion worth of export from ceramic products in a year.
- There is great scope for business in Mexico as the ceramic products export to Mexico presently is only $73.8 million from India.
- With a good number of business visitors coming from other Latin American companies as well, the overall scope for business is much larger for those participating in this expo.
- Chairman, TPCI, Mohit Singla said that the TPCI’s flagship export promotion event Source India Mexico is being held along with Expo CIHAC in Mexico City.
- Indian companies representing various sectors including building materials, construction equipment, interior furnishing, and technology for building construction will be showcasing a wide range of Indian products in the exhibition.
Underling the importance of ExpoCihac, Chairman, TPCI said that this exhibition is an ideal platform for the participants to explore the business opportunities for exports, joint ventures, technology transfers and marketing tie-ups with their Mexican counterparts and other participating countries.
CVC Analysis Report of ‘Top 100 Bank Frauds’
- The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) formally handed over Analysis Report of “Top 100 Bank Frauds” to the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh on 17/10/2018.
- The report was handed over by Vigilance Commissioners Shri T.M. Bhasin and Shri Sharad Kumar.
- While discussing the salient features of the report, Dr Jitendra Singh appreciated the exercise undertaken by the CVC and said that this documented report will serve as a reference material for policy planners, lawmakers and researchers.
- Briefing about the report, Shri T.M. Bhasin said the entire exercise was mainly inspired by the rising trend in bank frauds which has become a cause of concern at all levels.
- The CVC, he said, through this Report has undertaken a review and analysis of top 100 Bank Frauds in India, as on March 31, 2017.
- The analysis of the top bank frauds included in the report mainly focuses on
- modus operandi,
- amount of money involved,
- type of lending,
- anomalies observed,
- loopholes that facilitated the fraud, etc.
- In order to make the report more comprehensive, the top 100 Bank Frauds have been classified into 13 sectors:
- namely gems and jewellery,
- manufacturing / industry,
- service / project,
- discounting of cheques,
- Information Technology,
- export business,
- fixed deposits,
- demand-loan, and
- Letter of Comfort.
Shri Bhasin expressed the hope that this consolidated report will go a long way in reducing / obviating bank frauds in the country.
CSIR develops affordable Water Disinfection System “OneerTM”
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research , Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (CSIR-IITR), Lucknow has developed an innovative technology for “Drinking Water Disinfection System” with Trade name “OneerTM” which was transferred to M/s Bluebird Water Purifiers, New Delhi in the presence of Union Minister of Science & Technology and Vice-President, CSIR, Dr. Harsh Vardhan on 17/10/2018.
- It is useful for continuous treatment of water and eliminates all disease causing pathogens such as virus, bacteria, fungi, protozoa and cyst to provide safe drinking water to domestic and communities settings as per National and International standards prescribed for potable water (BIS, WHO etc.).
Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Harsh Vardhan said that it is well known that infection through drinking water results in an increase in morbidity and mortality particularly amongst children and Oneer developed by CSIR-IITR ,will provide access to safe and clean drinking water at a cost of just 2 Paise / Ltr.
- The Community level model is of 450 LPH capacity which can be scaled up to 5000 to 1 lakh L/day; and is also maintenance and membrane free.
- “The technology will be helpful especially for rural people since it can be solar powered and this development is in line with the ‘Make in India’ Mission”.
CSIR is continuously focusing on translational research through Mission Projects and Fast Track Translational Research Projects to develop technologies and products focussed at unmet needs.
One of the components of the programme is to enhance the quality of life of common people and remove drudgery.
The smaller unit of Oneer is particularly suitable for homes, street food vendors, and small establishments.